Thursday, January 14, 2010

Demolition Day


I finally found the time to remove the Christmas decorations from the tree in the dining room to make way for our year long celebration. Can I just tell you...some times it takes just as long, if not longer to take down the decorations. I think for me it's the last time to absorb all that was before placing it away to welcome all that will be. I mentioned in an earlier post the story behind keeping the tree up until New Year's Day. I would start the demolition process every Dec. 26th. I did this for years and years until a friend pointed out that it was bad luck to remove a tree before New Years day and in fact...we were supposed to celebrate the twelve days of Christmas. During my continuing research for this blog...I have since found that many people believe it is bad luck to keep the tree up in to the New Year. They believe the tree should be packed away prior to New Year's day. They reason you must remove the old in order to make way for the new. I am not a very superstitious person. I believe that whatever works for you is what works for you. It is just another way that we put the opinions and beliefs of others before our own. Hold dear to your own belief systems!!! I did welcome in a new tradition this year. My friend Nanette said that at the strike of midnight on New Year's eve you are suppose to open up your back door and take a broom to symbolically sweep away the troubles and sorrows from the previous year. After that is finished you are to open the front door to allow all the blessings and new energy to flow in to the house.
My youngest ( who is the only one who seems to have the stamina to watch the ball drop every year ) was very excited to partake in this new twist. If you BELIEVE it works...it WORKS! And even if it doesn't, it will forever be one of my fondest memories with my son of which I hope to repeat over and over again.
Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment