Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Masks and Memories



I got a late start yesterday on attempting to get the new V-Day decorations on the tree. I had my husband's birthday celebration dinner started on the stove by 10 a.m. I was up the night before until 1:30 in the morning getting his Red Velvet Cheesecake baked. I knew the idea of attempting to have the V-Day tree finished in time for his birthday gathering was not a realistic idea, but what's reality got to do with anything? It's February and I have a Christmas tree standing in my dining room.

I got as far as having all the Mardi Gras decorations removed and sorted out to be packed away when my children all appeared. Oldest son home from work, oldest daughter visiting for her Dad's party and youngest son home from school. Just for fun, I told them I would like to get a photo of them with the Mardi Gras masks on before I packed them away. Was I shocked when they said they would actually participate.

In a matter of minutes however, the silliness truly broke out and although I was looking at the faces of two grown adults and a 15 year old, I was suddenly transported in time to when they were all young children. The older two were about 9 and 8 year's old when the baby arrived in late November. I thought it would be fun to make them matching outfits, snap a photo and introduce our newest family member in our Christmas cards. This launched what would be a very long tradition of the children's yearly holiday picture minus the matching attire. Back before the amazing world of digital photos, I would gather the 3...place them in some type of pose, snap off 24 photos and run to the one hour film developing place. I would hold my breath in hopes of just one of those 24 being an acceptable photo. Who's eye's were closed, who was making bunny ears...who had just poked his or her sibling??? I would eventually laugh as I enclosed the final product in the year's Christmas card, but believe me, during the photo taking process it was anything but a laughing matter. One moment I was a crazed Mother yelling and seconds later I was saying...SMILE! To finally see their angelic faces captured on Kodak paper was miraculous. I was always grateful they were still photos and not videos, yet now that they are grown, I would welcome the opportunity to hit the play button and rewind the years.

Last night I was able to do just that. All it took was a view through a camera lens and I was looking at 3 "children" who still know how to push my buttons. I snapped a few photos, looked at the results and suddenly realized my oldest son had his mask on upside down. Sensing my irritation it was all they needed to bust out in to laughter. If only you could see the smile on my face right now...




No comments:

Post a Comment