Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Being Open to Change


I mentioned in my last post that the V-Day tree did not turn out anything like I initially envisioned. From the very idea of what the tree would be like, I looked to one of my favorite objects as inspiration. A few years back one of my dearest friends gave me a beautiful burgundy colored, Victorian inspired Christmas stocking. So delighted by it, I couldn't bring myself to pack it away at the end of the Christmas holiday. Instead I found a spot for it in my "Macy's Powder Room" where I allow it to remain on display all year long. ( Ahhhh...the Macy's Powder Room...intrigued? I feel another blog post coming forth...but that is for another day)


My initial concept was to use the stocking as a focal point on the tree. Unfortunately, when I attempted to secure the stocking to the tree it became more of an eye sore than the visually appealing focal point I had so clearly saw in my mind's eye. So determined was I to make it work that an hour in to my project I began to resent the tree and question my desire to go any further along in this silly quest.


Walking away to allow myself some time to chill out ( okay, walking away to go pour myself a glass of wine), I returned a little while later in a more relaxed frame of mind. I resolved myself to the fact that no matter how I tried, the stocking was just not going to work and it was time to return it to it's previously loved display place. Preconceived notions behind it was time to look at what I did have available and allow the design to take shape with no boundaries or expectations. From that point on, the design process was no longer a chore, but a freeing opportunity to enjoy. Wasn't that what this whole experience was supposed to prove in the first place?


I finished up the tree in no time and stepped back to take a good look at what had come forth.

What stood before me was this beautiful tree that warmed my heart. It was nearly perfect...except it felt like it was missing something. I suddenly realized what that was...the beautiful Victorian stocking that I treasure. Only...it didn't belong on the tree, just along side it.

Now every time I look at that tree ( which is quite often) I am reminded of the possibilities that exist when we allow ourselves to be open to them and the love of a dear friend who always sees in me the endless possibilities.

Thank you Cathy!

No comments:

Post a Comment